One of my favorite things to do is to create healthy version of my favorite unhealthy meals and treats. The goal is to make it taste so close to the real thing that I don’t even feel like I’m missing out! I have a full list of substitutes for both sweet & savory foods in my E-Book, but I’ll give you a sneak peak of some of my absolute favorite ones here!
And if you want to see a video of all the healthy substitutes in my pantry, check that video out here:
Sweet & Baking
- Cacao Powder- I’m obsessed with this stuff to add chocolate flavor to so many different things. I throw it into smoothies, mix it into oatmeal, and make chocolate desserts with it! No sugar, just pure chocolatey goodness.
- Almond Flour- This is a great swap for white flour when you’re baking because It’s literally just blanched almonds. No guilt needed!
- Coconut Sugar- If you need sugar in a recipe, this is a better option than highly refined, processed table sugar. Don’t get me wrong- it’s still sugar & eating a ton of sugar in any form isn’t good for you. But sometimes you just need to make some dang cookies, yeah? In that situation I always feel better knowing I’m choosing the less processed option.
- Nutritional Yeast- I’m going to be honest. In my years of experimenting with healthy recipes, I haven’t been able to find a cheese substitute that tastes exactly like cheese & is the same creamy texture as cheese. It’s such a unique taste & you just can’t beat the real deal. BUT, when I’m making healthy pastas with creamy sauces, I love to use nutritional yeast. In my opinion, it’s the closest thing to cheese flavor-wise!
- Unsweetened Greek Yogurt / Coconut Yogurt- If you’re ever making a dish that has a creamy sauce or dip, these are both great alternatives. I prefer Greek Yogurt because it has a slight tang to it & is thicker, but if you don’t eat dairy, Coconut Yogurt works too!
- Coconut Aminos- I use this as a substitute for soy sauce. It has way less sodium, so it’s a much healthier choice. I use this for sushi, thai peanut sauce, and it’s actually my secret ingredient in homemade mac & cheese. The salty umami flavor it adds is perfect!
Can’t wait for you guys to try some of these out for yourselves! Which ingredient are you most excited to try?
Can’t wait for more health, fitness & beauty content? I got you:
WORKOUT WITH ME:
WATCH MY LATEST YOUTUBE VID:
LISTEN TO MY LATEST PODCAST EPISODE:
MAKE YOUR PHOTOS INSTA WORTHY WITH MY $5 PRESETS: