I will never wish for colder weather, but I have to say… I am SO ready for cold weather food! Hearty and healthy soups, chili, and pastas are some of my favorite recipes to create. They’re just good for the soul kinda foods, ya know?
I think we can all agree that there are few meals more comforting than the ultimate comfort classic that is grilled cheese and tomato soup. Thick buttery bread filled with gooey cheese dipped into creamy soup? Sign. me. up.
But as much as I’d love to eat that meal 24/7, we all know it’s not the healthiest option. Store bought tomato soup can often be loaded up with hidden sugars (learn more about how to read ingredient labels in this blog post), and I like to keep the cheese and butter to a minimum in my diet.
Don’t get it twisted though- I don’t believe in cutting food groups out entirely and I LOVE me some cheese, but if there’s a healthier alternative that I can easily swap in it’s place, I’m all about it. Which is exactly what I did for today’s recipe!
I decided to swap out the cheese in my grilled cheese for avocado and sprinkle my favorite cheese substitute on top and wowwww, just yes. Of course it doesn’t taste like a grilled cheese, but it’s so delicious that I didn’t feel like I was missing out!
Alright, let’s jump into this delicious and filling recipe. You are going to be in food heaven very shortly!!!
FYI: I made this tomato soup recipe in an Insta Pot, but you could totally just make it on the stovetop! I’ve included steps for both cooking methods.
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Diced Yellow Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1 can (28 oz) San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes
- 1 can (28 oz) Diced Tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 1/3 cup Full Fat Unsweetened Coconut Milk (2/3 cup if you prefer it to be extra creamy! I’ve made both ways)
- 1/3 cup packed Fresh Basil
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning (Oregano would also work!)
- 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Optional: Red Pepper Flakes
Grilled Avo Sammie:
- 2 Slices Ezekiel Bread
- 1/2 Avocado
- Olive Oil Spray
- Pink Himalayan Salt, Nutritional Yeast & Red Pepper Flakes to taste
- Dice Onion and Chop Garlic
- Turn Insta Pot to Saute, add Olive Oil, and Saute Onion and Garlic in the Olive Oil until translucent
- Turn off Insta Pot and add all remaining soup ingredients (except for the Coconut Milk)
- Set Manual Pressure timer to 5 minutes, close lid, and cook using Natural Pressure Release
- Once done cooking, stir in Coconut Milk
For Stovetop- Saute Onion & Garlic in Olive Oil on Med High heat, add remaining soup ingredients (except for Coconut Milk), and simmer soup for around 20 minutes before adding the Coconut Milk
And the soup is done! I personally liked it a little chunkier, so I left as is. If you prefer your tomato soup to be smooth, use an immersion blender (or traditional blender) to smooth out any tomato chunks.
Grilled Avo Sammie:
- Spray both sides of Ezekiel Bread with Olive Oil Spray
- Spread 1/2 Avocado on Ezekiel Bread
- Sprinkle Pink Himalayan Salt, Nutritional Yeast, and Red Pepper Flakes to taste on top of the Avocado
- Cook just like a grilled cheese… we get it
We are officially ready to eat! I used my avo sandwich as a vessel to scoop up soup with and omgggg. I’m drooling just thinking about it. Just try it and thank me later.
Can’t wait for more health, fitness & beauty content? I got you:
SWEAT WITH ME!
HLP & HLP AT HOME ↓
HLP WEEKLY WORKOUT SERIES ↓
WATCH MY LATEST YOUTUBE VID ↓
LISTEN TO MY LATEST PODCAST EPISODE ↓
MAKE YOUR PHOTOS INSTA WORTHY WITH MY 7 LIGHTROOM PRESETS ↓